American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, November 27, 2009

Had an Idea

I emailed Spen of JRE Industries a few weeks ago about an idea I had and finally made the trip down on Wednesday to take the idea from concept to finished product. It's a VERY simple modification to one of my favorite bits of kit and it improves portability and security with minimal effort.

I've been carrying a Fallkniven DC4 in my pocket for some time now and I had almost convinced myself that the 4 was too big but the DC3 is a bit too small for the way I use the stone and I didn't really want to convert. Then it hit me.

If I dropped eyelets into the top of the DC4 sheath (one on each "lip") I could secure the stone with a piece of paracord or shock cord AND I could carry it on a carabiner clipped to my pack or my belt loop. The problem was that I had a DC4 and sheath but no eyelets. Spen has eyelets and a really nice press to put those eyelets in.

He suggested the S-biner from Nite-Ize as the clip and so far it's worked perfectly. Now I have the DC4 out of my pocket but still have it with me in case I need to sharpen my, or someone else's, knives. That may sound a bit strange but it has happened on more than one occasion.

JRE sells the DC3 and DC4 stones on their website and I'm encouraging Spen to offer the eyelets as an option for another couple of bucks as it really does improve the product without detracting from the current functionality.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Anders said...

Nice one!
I´m gonna steal this one.
Tomorrow morning when I get home from work I´ll do the same.
Thanks
Anders

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool idea Brian.. i like it.. what do you say you, hook me up with one next time you're over there...

i hope you folks had a great Thanksgiving..

cheers.. Mtnfolk Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home