American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Old Injuries

Several months ago I took a pretty good fall after tripping over an open cabinet door. I was pretty sore the next couple of days but we quickly laughed about how it sounded like the house was collapsing when I so gracefully went down.

The problem is, I'm still suffering a bit in my left wrist. I suspect there's some more serious damage that has affected bones or connective tissue (or both.) On top of that, there's numbness in the pinky and ring finger on my left hand.

What does any of this have to do with the blog? Well, it's compromising my ability to hold a knife and it's also made it very difficult to do much typing and I'm making lots of typos.

The numbness presents a couple of opportunities for me though. I've got to try some new knife handles to see if I can find something that takes advantage of my hand strength in the thumb, index, and middle finger more than the full grip. Maybe a traditional handle like on a leuku.

I've got to go get it checked out but it'll have to wait until after the holidays and, frankly, there's little rush now because if a bone was broken it has had plenty of time to heal wrong and will probably need to be rebroken.

I'll sure be glad to be rid of the numbness though.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Glad you are going to get it checked out.
It will be interesting to see what kind of knife grip you find works.

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous SurvivalTopics.com said...

Sounds like some kind of nerve damage.

Use the opportunity to come up with a knife grip that better for everyone. Carpal Tunnel, arthritis, and similar problems are experienced by many thousands of outdoorsmen.

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like Ulnar nerve damage. No, I'm not a doc, but I had symptoms very similar to those you describe.

Carpel tunnel has tingling in thumb, 1st and middle finger. Ulnar damage is to pinky and side of ring finger adjacent to it. Feels numb, not weak but if you can't feel it, you have no idea how much pressure you are putting on it.

there is a term for it, but I forget. the good news is that it does go away somewhat, and you'll get the feeling back, only not as sensitive as before.

IT comes from impact, as well as a habit of pressure against your elbow long term. I rid a desk for a CAD outfit, and thats how I hurt myself.

I hope this helps - look up ulnar damage, there are DIY therapy's for minor. If major, surgery may be required.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home