American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, January 18, 2010

Fireside Hot Chocolate

There's just something about hot chocolate you make on the campfire...

We melted snow and then added the hot chocolate powder to the boiling water. Every now and then we'd get a twig or bit of ash in the water but it just added to the flavor and character of the cup.

If it was too hot, we could add a bit of snow. If it was too cold, we'd just put it back on the coals for a minute or two.

I wish I'd had my CanteenShop.com cover though. It would've kept some of that extra stuff out of my cup. :)

Thanks for reading,


B

6 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger sam said...

Sounds like a fun time out.

Could you change the link on the right from my old blog to my current one? It's www.woodcrafterslog.blogspot.com
Thanks!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Done. Thanks for the nudge Sam. :)

B

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Perkunas said...

During winter and chilly summer days,when outdoors,i too like to make hot chocolate,and the best twist to it comes,to my tongue,if you add just a hint of mint liquour into it.Or if youre not into booxe,hey you can drop some breath freshener in it always ;).

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Mint liquour? I've never tried it that way.

I like to add a bit of Cayenne (red pepper) to mine like the Aztecs did. It gives it a little bite but not too much and it really brings out the chocolate.

You way sounds like it'd warm your insides too though. LOL!

Thanks,

B

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Perkunas said...

Oh yes it does,for sure,depending on how much you put it in.I believe the cocoa powder could actually mix in the liquour itself,without any water involved!


But seriously,the spiced cocoa is also something i like,i use chili to spice chocolate up.

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Michael said...

I'm a fool for Military Canteen cups. I once made a cup of coffee using Camel Dung with my cup. My commander asked where the heck did you get the hot cup of coffee from. I said "Sir don't ask".

Thanks for the review.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home