American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, January 02, 2010

I've Had a Dream

And it's the recurring kind.

I've had it twice in recent memory and it played out exactly the same way both times.

It's about a firesteel.

(Yeah, maybe I've got a bit of a problem.) :)

Here's the scenario:

I've got one of those monstrous non-Light My Fire firesteels and it's cold and snowy. My hands are frozen. I need fire quickly to stave off hypothermia. I scrape and scrape and scrape some more and can't get a spark. I scrape the firesteel so much that I wear through the firesteel and into a filler material in the center. It looks like Rice Krispies of all things.

I keep scraping around the rod and just can't get a spark. I get long curls of material but nothing that's going to set my tinder alight.

Then the material in the center falls out onto the ground.

Then I wake up as perplexed as ever...


What makes this dream especially strange is the fact that I have had exactly one firesteel from the many I've purchased at Going Gear or Firesteel.com that has given me a problem. It's one of the 1/2" diameter models and it sparked well for the first 20 strikes or so and now I seem to be in a vein of very soft material that only comes off in curls. Turning the rod and striking it again gives me sparks until I get through that outer "layer" of sparking material. I haven't used it extensively enough to know how far in the layer of softer stuff goes but I've had a few attempts at firestarting with that particular rod fail and I've had to resort to other means. One was only a few days ago so maybe that prompted the dream again.

I have a 1/2" X 6" rod from the same source that I used all summer to light my charcoal grill so I simply cannot lump all non-LMF firesteels into the same category. I think this one rod may be a dud but I've been happy with the rest.

I'm sure having gear-related dreams is a sign of something. I just don't have the foggiest idea what it might signify.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I quote: I'm sure having gear related dreams is a sign of something..."

Let me get this straight - in the dream, you've hit a layer of soft stuff in your normally functional gear and now you're having trouble achieving a "spark."

rrrriiight....um....no idea what that could mean B?

;)

I'm kidding. In reality, it probably just signifies anxiety. For you starting a fire is both a basic skill and a necessity. You SHOULD be able to do it (in your mind). So having a failure in a dream is probably your adult equivalent of the classic "can't open my locker and I'm late to class dream" from Junior High School.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger The Suburban Bushwacker said...

The Dream means........(cue spooky msic)
"you neeed to buy more kittttttttttttttttt"
[sound of the wind in the trees]]
"you then need to do more blog posts"

SBW

 

Post a Comment

<< Home