American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Trying Something Old

Something new, something old, or at least something different...

I recently saw a series of videos on YouTube by the owner of The Canteen Shop and it got me thinking about my canteen cup again. I've added it to my Trangia setup, gotten a new canteen and carried it with the stove stand, and I've used it for oatmeal and cereal as well as rice and soups.

The problem is that my canteen cup went missing when I boxed everything up for the basement project. I've been down digging through boxes but it hasn't turned up anywhere yet. So, I decided to get in touch with Rob and get my hands on a new one that I can break in.

The plan is to stack two cups on the canteen (one right side up, the other upside down) for double the cooking/boiling capacity. I think I'm going to attach the handles together with a carabiner and then run some cordage off that carabiner to carry everything Bear Grylls style.

One thing he's got on the site that really interested me is the Heavy Cover Canteen Cup Lid (Click the link for a large image.) It's a heavy plastic lid with a handle that you can use to keep steam in the cup and crud out. I've used a folded up piece of foil in the past but it would only last a handful of uses and then had to be replaced. We'll see how the Heavy Cover lid holds up once it gets here.

Once I have everything together I'll shoot a picture and update this post so you have a better idea of what I'm seeing in my mind's eye. I'll also put the rig together and test my theory about it's usefulness/weight ratio.

Thanks for reading,


B

10 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The British/NATO Crusader cup and canteen may work a bit better for what you're thinking. I've seen setups that remind me of a trangia the way the top and bottom fit together.

And I agree that the lid is awesome, but it isn't to be used in direct flames, which is something foil can do that it can't.

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing how the "two cups cover" works out for you. I know I have a surplus canteen and cup buried somewhere. I should dig it up and start carrying it.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go here and check out picture #2 (that's the center one of the smaller pics).

http://www.cardinalgear.com/crusader-cup-canteen.html

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I have the 58 Pattern bottle and set (cup, burner, etc.) but never use it. I think it's because the bottle and cup are so much more expensive than the US Canteen and cup and the cup that comes with the Nato bottle is plastic.

That's how I carry mine though. I have been doing that since I first nested a Nalgene bottle in a stainless cup. It protects the top of the bottle from mud and muck and gives an extra cooking/boiling vessel.

Right now I've got my tarp rolled up and have two metal mugs on opposite ends pushed together for an ultralight cookset/shelter combo.

B

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to try the stainless steel mug/tarp combo. What size tarp are you using?

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I have been using the British Basha which is (I think) 2.5 meters by 3 meters?

I recently upgraded to the Swack Shack and it'll roll up just the same.

Let me see if I can shoot a pic this afternoon for you to show better what I'm doing.

B

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

HERE is one picture with the cups together and HERE it is pulled apart to show the tarp.

That's the Swack Shack.

B

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I have to ask. Where did you get your cups?

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

One is the GSI Stainless cup available at REI, Bass Pro Shops, and Walmart. The other is the SnowPeak Trek 700 Titanium mug which you can find at REI or other outdoor sporting goods stores.

B

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Perkunas said...

I like that idea of yours a lot.


Yep heres the same,its hard to get pattern 58 /crusader kit,with bottle,cup and burner,and even if you could it would be very expensive,sadly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home