American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, February 13, 2010

I'm a Spyder Man

That's right, I'm a Spyder Man.

I've been carrying a left-handed Spyderco Military since I got it in October from Knifeworks and have been using it quite a bit for the past four weeks. It's the S30V model with G10 handles and stainless liners.

Instead of the usual convex edge, I decided to maintain this knife on my Sharpmaker to get the full Spyderco experience.

In my job as a bartender, I've been opening and cutting down lots and lots of cardboard boxes. I like to cut the flaps off the cases as I move them from the storage closet into the refrigerator and then cut open cases of cans much like the 12-packs of soda where I can reach into the package and grab a can and go. This results in the occasional stabbed can.

I'm also slicing up lots of limes, lemons, and oranges.

I have made it a habit to take 5 strokes down each of the white stones once a week and the edge will still sail through the cardboard and it's toothy enough to make short work of the citrus peels.

Funny that a knife this big can be used so often around people and not draw a single comment but the Fallkniven F1 which is smaller would elicit plenty of comments about whether or not I was a serial killer or hunter or lumberjack...

I really do enjoy using a left-handed knife and the Military has really surprised me. I never thought I'd carry it because it's so big. I never thought I'd use it because I'd never carry it. Instead, I carry it and use it all the time and it has done a great job on everything I've needed so far.

Sure, I'm not taxing it much by opening boxes and slicing fruit but at least it's getting a regular workout and regular maintenance. That's really all I can ask for these days.

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home