American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Slow and Steady

I've been working on thinning the edge on the Edmondson Chopper since Sunday night and it's going slow and steady.

My sharpening supplies have been moved and moved and moved again with the basement project so I'm left with a very small handful of equipment and nothing really suited to a blade as big as this chopper.

So, I go slow and steady trying to maintain my angles and checking and rechecking the edge. I've already raised the edge maybe half its thickness again. Murray Carter once said something to the effect of, "Thin the edge until it sustains damage during normal use and then thicken it slightly."

When I'm done, this knife should really sing. There's a clear compromise between the edge angle as received and a hair popping razor thin edge and I hope to find it.

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger sam said...

I take it the edge was somewhat thicker than you'd like?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home