American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Blind Horse Boat Tail Scandi

We've been at my parents' lake house since Monday and I've had an opportunity to do some work with Spen's Boat Tail Scandi and I'm really liking it.

I'm actually a bit disappointed that I'm going to have to return it later this week.

The knife sits in the hand well, came crazy sharp, and makes fuzz sticks like a champ. I used it yesterday with my Wetterlings hatchet and Victorinox Farmer to prep some wood for the fire pit and it was the perfect piece to add to the lineup.

I didn't use it for any particularly hard or abusive jobs so I can't really comment on how it'll hold up to that but in the role of knife and cutting tool it did great.

I don't know if this is the standard sheath or if Spen made up a special rig for his Boat Tail Scandi but it's super nice and holds the knife very securely without being overly bulky. It rides nice and tight and the firesteel loop is secure too. I've got my shock cord lanyard wrapped around the loop to keep my firesteel where I want it and the whole rig rides comfortably in the car and moving around outside.

I believe this was a limited run piece from Blind Horse Knives but don't quote me on that. My knowledge about this particular knife is really pretty lacking. :)

I hope LT and Dan see this and consider whipping up an extra one if they're all gone.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LT and Dan got it right with this knife! Not saying the others are bad, but that this knife is special. I like everything about the BTS and enjoy using mine every chance I get. They'll be making more and are changing the rivets on the 2nd run. Get one, you can't go wrong at that price. Cheers, Jeff aka Bushpuukko

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Jeff,

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about this knife but I have to agree that it's a heck of a worker.

I sent an email off to Dan and LT the day I had to return the knife to let them know that Spen was coming to PWYP without it and they told me that they were gearing up for a full production run. I guess Spen got lucky this time. :)

Did you get a sheath with yours? Spen tells me that the sheath I got was just something he had laying around the shop. (It's like Monet telling you that he just had this painting sitting on an easel...) The sheath I got was that great Mahogany leather in the bushcraft style with the firesteel loop and it fit the knife great.

I think this knife would make a heck of a necker. It's light enough to be unobtrusive but has enough cutting edge to do some serious work and the handle isn't too short for nice strong grips.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home