American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Knife Restoration

Do you have any interest in my process for restoring a knife that's been damaged and/or neglected?

Every time I take a knife from "beat to heck" to "like new" I think, after the fact, that I should've documented the process.

I just finished one this morning and wish I'd tracked my progress.

Since I still have a garage full of gear I can't get to my tools. This means I have to do all the work by hand.

If you want to see/read my process, then I'm going to need to pick up a nice beat-up knife...

Thanks for reading,


B

6 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Dustin Tarditi said...

I'm interested!

I have a Mora that I forgot about and did not put away well... when I dug it up it had quite a bit of rust and discoloration staining the finish.

I removed the rust (tried a green scotchbrite, ended up using a wire wheel and dremel), but the process scratched the surface up pretty badly.

The knife is completely serviceable, I sharpened it, oiled it, and put it away, but it would be nice to bring it back to its $15 glory!

The knife actually has sentimental value - I purchased it personally from Mors Kochanski during a bushcraft class.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Deoje said...

I would be interesting in seeing what you do.

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested as well.

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

meee 2

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd really be interested in seeing you document the process from start to finish. A good knife is worth the effort!

Bill W.
Jack Bauer gear

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old pawn shop knife buys, oil and a rust eraser are part of my favorite activities, I love bringing an old somewhat abused knife back to life.

Old vintage well made knives are far more interesting than the cheaper manufactured knives made today, especially the models which evoke childhood memories. Two weeks ago, bought an old Imperial Kamp King - wow, does that take me back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home