American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, May 17, 2010

An Old Friend (Diving Sparrow Boreal)

Another incredibly busy weekend is in the books. Phew!

This morning hasn't been much better.

Now I'm taking some time for myself while Sarah's taking a nap and I've reworked the edge on my Diving Sparrow Knife Works Boreal (shown here.)

This knife has taken some punishment and it keeps coming back for more. The blade has gone from a nice polished finish to a thick multi-colored patina. It actually has more color on it now than it did when I took that picture.

I got out my DMT stones and went to work on the edge. Not necessarily because the knife was dull but the edge could definitely use a tune-up and I find the process to be relaxing.

Starting with the Coarse stone I established the bevel and cleaned up the existing edge to make everything nice and even. Normally I'd start with my finest abrasive and work backward until i got to one that cut fast enough for what I was doing but today I knew I'd want to go for the gusto because free time isn't something I have much of these days.

Once it was sharp (it would pop hairs and sail through paper) at Coarse then I moved to Fine and repeated the process.

On the DMT stones I sharpen with water and dishwashing detergent (Dawn) and finish with Windex. Do I need to do this? I don't know. I just know it seems to work really well and one cuts and the other polishes.

I test the sharpness again after the Fine stone and the move to the strop for about 20 edge-trailing passes on each side alternating every two strokes.

Now the edge is like a mirror and sails through whatever I put in the way.

Maybe I'll be able to find some time this week to actually get the knife dirty again.

Friday Jake and I will be going on an overnight campout with the Cub Scouts so it'll be used there for sure.

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats funny i use dish liquid my self and about once a month i run my stones thru the dishwasher sideways edge pointing up,it seems to keep them in top shape

 

Post a Comment

<< Home