American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, August 20, 2010

Quick First Aid Tip

You've all got duct tape in your PSK right?

Here's a tip I applied for the past couple of days thanks to a careless error in judgment.

I was sharpening my SAK on a Fallkniven DC3 and thinking to myself, "Huh, my fingers are really in a poor position and could be cut easily" at just about the same time as I noticed a line of blood starting to form on the tip of my thumb.

Fingertip cuts are the worst because I'm constantly breaking them open during the healing process and it drags things out by days.

What I needed and didn't have was a butterfly bandage to keep things held together but allow airflow to get to the cut.

I cut strips off the duct tape (bright pink gaffer's tape in this instance) and then cut the "V" notches on each side in the middle and used it with great success to hold the cut together until the skin healed enough to keep itself together.

The tape held when wet, greasy, and dirty and it was easy and cheap to change.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im not sure if its a good idea lol,but when this happens to me i squeeze out a little blood wash the cut real well and dry,then apply a little super glue to hold the skin together and in a day or two all is well,cheers, chris from alabama

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger backcountrybowhunter said...

Duct tape also works fantastic for big gashes, just pull the sides together in steri-strip fashion. Also works great for hot spots and blisters... cut out a round-ish patch that is larger than the affected area and put it on! The slickery properties of the duct tape allow a much better "glide" than skin to sock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home