American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Of Habits and New Directions

The past few years have really focused on the outdoor skills and gear evaluations and those will continue as there ALWAYS seems to be something arriving in the mail.

However, I want to work on some different skills going forward.

First, I want to learn how to can/jar for long term food storage. I have some idea how it is done but have never done anything of any real size. I know you can can everything from meat and eggs to veggies and fruit but I've just never done more than canning my own made from scratch hot sauce.

I still carry my cameras everywhere and am always taking notes of what we see and do but the habit of sitting down and writing has been lost. I will try to remember to sit down every day and give you something new to read but I can't promise that it'll always happen without a subtle reminder. :)

The weather has changed, hunting season is upon us, and I'm going to try my hand at bowhunting as soon as I get myself a bow. I've talked about this for a long time but finally have the funds set aside to do something about it. It may be this week that Sarah and I get to run up to the archery store for some guidance.

I hope to see you again real soon.

Thanks for reading,


B

4 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you want to learn to can,google the name jackie clay,shes the guru of canning,seriously this lady is a genius when it comes to canning shes written several books and is a pleasure to read and learn from,thanks chris from al.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Dustin Tarditi said...

How about an end-to-end series... start with your hunting bow - setup, tuning, practice, etc. then go into the hunt itself - site selection, stalking, bagging the quarry; then field dressing, then final meat processing; followed by preservation; and lastly, a tasty recipe used to enjoy the fruits of your labors!

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger sam said...

The canning bible is called the "Ball Blue Book of Canning". There are loads of good websites out there on preserving or prepping, it all depends on what info you'd want.
Hope you get back in the writing habit again soon!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Vinosaur said...

Get your bow and lets go do some shooting. I have my tags for this year and have a location set up not too far from me. I'd love to have someone to sit in misery in the cold with. Hopefully bag my first deer. There is also a real nice archery range and pro-shop 3 miles from the house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home