American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Energy Up!

It's that time of year...

I'm really spending a great deal of time working on skills, reading up on new ideas, and getting the gear tested and evaluated for future use.

I've been working the firepit every day with only what I've got in my pockets but the onset of colder weather means I've got a TON of stuff in my pockets because each pocket contains some bit of outdoorsy joy. :)

I'm carving my next spoon. I have a small piece of birch here and it's got a nice grain to it so I'm motivated to carve.

I split it with my 510, then split one half into smaller and smaller pieces and made some fuzz sticks, and the other piece I began to carve by taking off slivers from the future handle. Those slivers were thin enough and dry enough to take a spark from my firesteel and thus began my fire yesterday.

I've been reading Baden-Powell's "Scouting for Boys" since the DC Trip and will be using much of the material with Jake's Scout Den. As a matter of fact, he's just been tasked this morning with picking one chapter from the book that we'll begin working as soon as this afternoon.

I think today might have a hike in store for us. The kids want to get out, I want to get out, and the weather looks like it's going to be clear and cold so it'll be a good opportunity to test coats, boots, wool socks, and gloves to make sure they're still fitting well and are suited to windy dry cold as they were originally intended.

I always have a bag of goodies I carry so if the kids get too cold there's a warm blanket, some hot chocolate, and other stuff that'll get their spirits back up long enough to get us to the car or the house.

Camera batteries are charging so I hope you'll have something more to read and see tomorrow.

See you then!

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home