American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Swedish Army Trangia Tip

If you're using one of the Swedish Army surplus cooksets and have the brass stove, you need to consider putting a needle or a piece of snare wire in with your kit.

I can't tell you how many times the snare wire has saved my bacon when I was out and my burner was having trouble lighting.

You can take the wire and poke it down into the burner holes to clear them of debris so the burner can bloom. It may take a few pokes so the advantage goes to the longer snare wire over the fixed-length needle.

We had a boil-over with some hot cocoa yesterday and I'm cleaning the burner this morning and some of the charred sugar is giving me problems but being able to clear the jets helps a lot.

B

2 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a couple of those, but have'nt had the opportunity to try them yet, I'd love to hear how well they work for you. What fuel you use etc.

I was considering using them in my car kit and hunting bag using Everclear for fuel.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger andy said...

I`ve got the Swedish cookset but I swapped the SVEA burner for a regular Trangia burner that's small enough to fit inside my folding handle cup.
that way I get the burner,cup,fuel bottle,spork and a cleaning kit inside the big pot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home