American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, November 20, 2010

To the Woods!

Today started the first of many monthly Scout Hikes to come. I didn't get many takers but the weather was cool, the sky was clear, and a slight breeze kept things moving.

Winter is clearly around the corner but it's not here yet.

Jake was my only woods pal today but I was more than happy to have him along. The promises of snacks and time away from the television were enough to draw him out.

He loaded his own pack this morning with snacks, drinks, and other "essential" gear for any 7 year old boy and I put enough emergency gear in my own pack to handle any potential problems encountered with up to 100 kids in the woods. The list included space blankets, water, firestarting gear, zip ties, cordage, a first aid kit, a Wiggy's poncho liner, and additional snacks.

Strangely, when it came to cutlery, I seem to have left my knives and other pocket gear at home. What I did have in my pocket was the Fallkniven U2 which proved more than capable of what we would encounter in our "wilderness" adventure. As a matter of fact, the most difficult task we faced was the whittling of a stick during our snack. For that, the SGPS performed wonderfully.

Jake and I talked about the importance of the space blanket and zip ties when you're out and I explained how he could quickly erect a shelter using one of the bent trees and his supplies. We didn't have an opportunity to really practice the skill today but we will in the coming weeks and months. The benefit of the zip ties is the ability to work quickly without a knowledge of tying knots. (He's seven, he'll learn enough knot tying as we do this but zip tie knowledge is available right now.)

We were only out for a couple of hours but when your kid, a television zombie, tells you how much fun he's having in the woods you really embrace it and try to stay out just as long as possible.

Unfortunately, the cool air got to him and we had to head for home to look for a good pair of lightweight gloves for our next outing.

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you had a fun time and I bet you didn't have to swat any mosquitoes!

Joe in Iowa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home