American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Paracord Bracelets by Joben

Paracord bracelets are all the rage right now and I found a member on Bladeforums who is making them with small buckles sized to order. He's turning them out inexpensively and fast and I've got three already with five more on the way (the kids wanted them.)

Jonathan (Joben) takes a measurement of your wrist, makes the necessary adjustments, and braids up the bracelet before sending off some pictures and sticking them in the mail. I had my first order two days after I sent payment and I've been wearing one of them every day since.

The buckle is a really nice addition as I can put it on and take it off in a blink or I can just wear it 24/7 as the buckle and all components are waterproof or at least unaffected by water.

He does the cobra stitch and a few other stitches as well as using some jute twine and other types of cordage.

In a pinch, I can turn the bracelet into paracord and the inner strands with a quick flick of the knife. I think there is something like 5-6' of paracord in a bracelet.

We like them so much that I'm going to be using Jonathan to source the materials to make bracelets with the Cub Scouts next month. He'll supply pararcord, buckles, and some instructions to make tying the Cobra Stitch a bit easier.

If you want to get in touch with him to discuss your own paracord bracelet needs, drop him a note here:
Joben
and I'm sure he'll be back to you in short order.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Steven Jarvis said...

Paracord bracelets are a great project for your den. I think it's a great project for Bears and Wolves (depending on their manual dexterity).

It's an easy way to get them started with knots, and gives them something useful at the end, too.
Plus, it's a good way to ease them into thinking about what they could do with the paracord if they needed to.

Making them with the buckles is a little more complex than doing the loop and knot closure, because you have to size them more accurately BEFORE you start tying the knots. But you could get them measured and started for them.

I made blue and gold ones for my den last year (when they were Tigers and didn't quite have the dexterity to do it themselves) when they earned their Cub Scouts Leave No Trace award, and they love them (some of them still haven't lost them!).

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Joben said...

Hi Bushman!

Thanks for the write up, and I'm glad you like them.

Btw, it's closer to one foot of cord per inch of bracelet. Your average 9 inch Cobra will have about 8.5 feet of cord in it.

The bulky King Cobra stitch can up that to 2 inches per foot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home