American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

What a Weekend!

Between the running around and the snow it has taken me until this morning to officially dig out from under the work. I'm still finishing the laundry but am otherwise all caught up. Finally!

This weekend the kids had a book fair at the local Barnes & Noble and I found this book on the shelf and decided to bring it home.

I haven't had much of a chance to read it but I have scanned over several pages and read the front and back covers.

The gist of the book is that kids who spend time outdoors are better behaved, better adjusted, and less likely to be obese or depressed.

Richard Louv, the author, (Website here), won the 2008 Audubon Medal and is the Chairman of the Children & Nature Network.

As I get into this further I'll be doing a full review.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Steven Jarvis said...

That book really helped me articulate what I knew and felt when I read it. It certainly jumpstarted my plan to keep my (then 2-year-old) son outside and active. He's now almost 8 and would rather spend time outside hiking, fishing, or just riding his bike and playing with friends than inside playing video games or watching TV. I can't remember the last time we fired up the Wii (nearly a year ago, maybe?). Mr. Louv's book is certainly at least partially responsible for that. The rest is Cub Scouts (and me!).

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

That's great to hear.

Jake is so much fun when we're out doing things and much more prone to temper tantrums when we get home.

To be honest, I kind of feel the same way. The exposure to the outdoors and the activity really helps me to cope with the stress of staying at home and being so fully committed to everyone else's schedules.

Thanks for your comment,


B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home