American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Woodlore

Well, here it is...the official Ray Mears Woodlore.

I really don't know what to say about it that isn't already known but there is definitely something special about this knife and I can certainly see why so many makers are doing "tribute" pieces.

The blade to handle ratio is just right.

The thickness is just right.

The handle shape is just right.

The overall length is just right. The blade length is just right.

It's comfortable in every grip (every one I use anyway...)

(Click for larger image)













Frankly, the only thing I might change about this knife is the handle material. As you may be able to make out in the pictures, the tang is slightly proud now that the scales have shrunk from the dry winter air. A synthetic like micarta or G10 wouldn't do that but they also don't have the same look and feel of old wood.

I'll tell you this much, dear readers, this knife won't look quite so pretty the next time you see it.

I have resisted cutting anything since it arrived because I had never gotten pictures of it fresh from the box. Now I've got 'em...

So, I've got my grail knife. It doesn't get any better than that does it?

Well, there may be another trick or two up my sleeve...including a knife I drew from scratch that should be out of heat treat and ready for finishing as you're reading this.

You know it's going to be good if a guy who has a BRAND NEW WOODLORE is anxiously awaiting its arrival. :)

Thanks for reading,


B

5 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger SpeedyG00 said...

Fantastic to see you writing again B.

Finally someone who owns a RM knife is actually going to use one correctly and put it through the trials it deserves

Ash G

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it worth the wait? I've always liked the looks of the Woodlore but will not spend the money since there are so many good makers who make them at a drastically reduced price. Am anxiously awaiting your field trials to see how you like it. Jeff

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

It was. So far anyway...

This is the newer SWC version so the wait time was much shorter.

If nothing else, it should slow down the rate at which I've been acquiring bushcraft/woodlore-style blades which should allow my wallet to stop smoldering for a while. :)

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Perkunas said...

oh boy, did i really love to read you saying:
"I'll tell you this much, dear readers, this knife won't look quite so pretty the next time you see it."

Its pretty rare to see men actually using woodlores and in my opinion,if you dont use your knife,its all the same what the knife is as its almost if you wouldnt even own one. Aeroplanes are done for flying, guns are for shooting and knifes for sure are meant to be used in most various ways.

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you lucky dog Brian.. i do love those knives.. that one is a beauty..

hope all is well with you folks..

Mtnfolk Mike T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home