American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

An Admission

Yes, I'm a knife-carrier and knife-user.

As a matter of fact,the ONLY time you'll find me without a knife in my pocket or on my belt is when I'm traveling through an airport.

Here's one more thing you should know about me:

I'm not sorry.
I will not stop carrying it because it makes some folks uncomfortable.
I will not cover up the use of my knife because it scares you.

How did we get here?

A man who carries a pocket knife is a DOer. He can tackle those simple chores like cutting loose threads, trim his nails, open the mail and packages, and even open those snack bags with the "tear here" notch that never tears.

Some carry a Swiss Army Knife (SAK) that may have screwdrivers, can openers, cap lifters, and even saws and magnifying glasses. Those folks can do even more mundane work.

My kids know that a knife is a tool and that carrying one doesn't make one a serial killer or whack-job. So, why do some adults show such mental deficiency? Are those people also afraid of hammers, drills, staple guns, and saws? How about baseball bats, kitchen cutlery, or even spoons?

The problem, as I see it, is that some of those scared adults make policy and could make emotional responses instead of rational ones. Fear is, after all, an emotional response.

What I'm doing today, and would encourage you to do as well, is heading over to Knife Rights and joining to make sure that my rights are being protected by like-minded folks.

I'll continue to carry, use, and refuse to apologize for doing so but I'll also continue to try and educate and do my best to be a positive role-model.

Thanks for reading,


B

4 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger SpeedyG00 said...

I am also a knife carrier, but living in the uk at times it appears the whole country wishes to condem it. Carrying and using a knife in a educated and respectful manor is something i was bought up with if others where taught this then the stigma assosiated with knives could be irradicated

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger sam said...

Knives are tools, end of story. I wish that European countries took people's rights to carry things like this more seriously rather than trying to criminalise everone and everything.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Very well written, thanks. This is the way I feel it too. It's not a knife to be afraid of it's a man to afraid of...

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Gorges Smythe said...

"Are those people also afraid of hammers, drills, staple guns, and saws?"

Yes, they usually are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home