American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Valuable Tip

While I visited with Mike Billman this weekend, he taught me a special trick that repaired a chip in my axe handle.

Today, I used the same method to repair the cracked handle on my Spyderco Bushcraft.

It's easy, fast, and inexpensive.

You'll need thin superglue (CA glue) and some sandpaper.

Sand the wood, apply a few drops of glue, wait for a few seconds while it cures, then repeat. Do that until you've smoothed the crack, chip, or dent and then sand smooth.

This technique has been used by woodworkers for some time but it was new to me. My first attempt isn't nearly as nice as Mike's was but it'll come with time and experience.

Once fully cured, I'll brush the scales with Linseed Oil to bring it back to a finish more like the factory one.

It's drying now and I should have a picture or two for you tomorrow.

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home