American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Breakfast

Looking for an easy and healthy fireside breakfast?

How about a cup of good old oatmeal?

It's easy to prepare, travels well, can be made many different ways, and really sticks to your ribs.

I like to use Quaker Old Fashioned Oats over instant.

Here's the basic recipe:

1c Water
1/2c Old Fashioned Oats
Pinch of salt

Combine everything in your cup and bring it to a boil for 5 minutes.

Stir.

Eat.

See how easy that is?

If you want chewier oats, don't add them until the water is boiling and then follow the recipe.

Add dried fruit during cooking or fresh after for an additional nutritional boost. Add sugar or maple (or birch) syrup for added sweetness.

This morning I've added some dried blueberries to my oatmeal for their antioxidants and because they taste good. :)

With a 5 minute cook time, you can make these over the coals, a Trangia stove, any other fuel stove, or even the cooktop. You could even make up a cup before bed time to fire up the engine to help you sleep a bit warmer.

Now I burned a bit in the bottom of my canteen cup so I'll be scrubbing a bit more during the clean up but it's easily avoided so it won't ruin the taste of your breakfast. I should've stirred it more often but was getting one kid on the bus and another one ready to go so it didn't get my full attention today.

Bon Appetit!

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know it might sound odd to my fellow bushcrafters in the north but down here in the south we eat oatmeal sweet,but we also like it with either chicken bullion or beef bullion added,,i know it might sound odd but its really good,just prepare plain unsweetend oatmeal with water and throw in as much beef or chicken bullion as you like,,cheers chris from al.

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to add a squirt of honey to mine, but I imagine it would make a slight mess in a canteen cup. I'll eat unsweetened oatmeal, but I prefer it with it. Got to have the pinch of salt though - my wife thinks I'm nuts.

Never tried it with the boullion cubes, but it sure sounds like a way to make it a meal. Boullion by itself just doesn't cut it for me, but I throw a pretty good shadow, so the thinner folks may be okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home