American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Stinky Wool Blankets? A Tip!

I got a couple of those Italian Military Surplus wool blankets off the Internet and, when they arrived, they smelled so bad that they made my eyes water before I even opened the box.

I aired them out on the front porch for a couple of days. Then I aired them out on the back porch for another couple of days. They still smelled pretty horrible.

Before I washed them and embedded that naptha smell into the washer and dryer for weeks, I tried one more trick I had read on the Internet and it seems like it's working.

I got a big trash bag and some dryer sheets and tossed the blankets in the bag, tossed in the dryer sheets, and then squeezed out the air, twisted the top up, and left the bag overnight.

I am happy to report that, so far, this morning there is no smell coming from the blankets.

I shook everything up and put them back in the bag and I'll pull them again a bit later today to make sure but it seems like it not only worked but worked quickly and effectively.

If any of you give this a try please report back and let me know how it went for you.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger Flag_Mtn_Hkrs said...

I have been looking for two of those Italian beauties. Where did you find some?

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Sportsman's Guide I think.

They're very different than the one I got a couple of years ago. They're thinner (denser) and in much better shape but just reeked of mothball.

B

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Here is a direct link to SG's page.

Looks like they're still in stock too.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home