American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

So Much Time Spent...

I have spent YEARS building kits.

For some reason, I find it enjoyable to build kits for survival, every day, travel, etc. It goes right along with my desire to plan for anything and everything I suppose.

This morning I'm working on a stripped down kit of the best stuff I can find and then (this is the part I've always done backwards) I'll find a suitable container.  Normally I start with the container and try to maximize the space inside.  This leads to kits that contain smaller versions of items I might normally carry that then don't get used.

I had to light a fire in the rain in humid South Carolina in June with a 2" X 1/8" firesteel and the blade on my Leatherman Micra.  I got it done but it took some concentration and effort and a good amount of determination.  It would've been far easier to use the awl on a Victorinox Pioneer, Soldier, etc. and a nice big LMF Army firesteel (or even a lighter.)

The books say to revisit your kits at least once a year to make sure things haven't gone bad that should be replaced but I find that I'm constantly revamping contents, focus, etc. and so my kits rarely get used as kits because they're constantly being parted out for the newest kit or the newest idea...

I stopped myself at one point yesterday and counted no fewer than FOUR knives on my person and then promptly removed three of them to lighten my pockets.  This is the same thing I intend to do with these kits--take out the backups, make sure the highest quality components are included, and then use the heck out of the kit to make sure the right choices have been made.

How long with this "Perfect Kit" last? Probably not long if history is any indication...  LOL!

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger Corey Beavers said...

AB, I do the same thing. I think part of the reason is because kit building is FUN! It's a challenge to creatively try to anticipate your needs in the field and then try to meet that need in the best, and sometimes lightest, way possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home