American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, September 01, 2012

Well Prepared or Insane?

Sure, it's a fine line...

Why carry a high-end knife if you back it up with a "beater" to do all the hard work?

I'm working this morning breaking down boxes and find myself using my Spyderco Para-Military 2 in S30V with a DMT/JRE edge (as described a few days ago) for all the cutting chores while my Sebenza is clipped to my pocket.  Hmm...that's wrong.

I normally carry a "good" knife in one pocket and an easily opened and closed loaner in the other--something along the lines of a Victorinox Pioneer for those folks who might actually need a knife but aren't forward-thinking enough to have one.

I learned long ago that a locking knife isn't ideal for those people because they'll try to close the knife without unlocking it regardless of locking mechanism and, eventually, someone will injure themselves either forcing a lock or just walking around with a locked open knife.

Don't get me wrong, the Sebenza is getting plenty of use but it's mostly food prep and not the kind of work that will tear up an edge and a blade finish in short order (usually.)

I wish I could tell you that it was just because I was so well-prepared because I tend to live my whole life by the PACE acronym:


  • Plan
  • Alternate
  • Contingency
  • Emergency
but it's really just that I enjoy carrying and using these knives and sometimes I just can't commit to one or the other in the morning so I grab both...one could, I suppose, make the argument that two wasn't enough to cover the four plans listed above.  Right?

Off to find two more knives...

LOL!

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home